(replace book with story!)
Below is a real challenge we gave to our applicants for the editor position a few months ago.
Thanks for accepting the challenge.
This exercise will allow us to gauge your ability to curate, write commentary and pay attention to details. It takes an absolute maximum of 2 hours.
- Pick a topic. Options:
Note: subjects above link to tagged pages, but you can also search for hacker noon stories on site and “hackernoon.com: keyword” on google to find stories.
2. Write an evergreen(-ish) newsletter that includes:
- Headline. Think direct, catchy, and/or SEO optimized.
- Subhead. Guide the reader into your perspective.
- Featured image. Anything on HackerNoon.com or free photo sites like Unsplash works.
- 1-4 sentence intro.
- List of 10+ stories. Please include linked headline, author linked accreditation, time reading of post. For each story, please include 1-2 sentence commentary and/or 1-3 sentence quote from story. You can also mention/link to other sources on the web, but the point is to better curate hacker noon’s existing library.
- 1-4 sentence conclusion.
3. Please share a google doc with us within 2 hours of when you start the editorial test.
If there are any choices/sacrifices you made within the constraints of this exercise, you are welcome to disclose in the document. No need to imitate, but here are some past hn newsletters.
Something we didn't cover? Search the site by clicking 🔍 at the top right of any page. Or email us at